TheKuiperBelt_Albedo_and_Color.svg (SVG file, nominally 300 × 300 pixels, file size: 27 KB)
Illustration of colors of Centaurs.
- The position of an object represents the two colour indices
- horizontal axis V-B, blue color index i.e. the difference in the magnitude of the object observed through a visual (green-yellow) and a blue filter
- vertical axis R-V, red color index, the difference in the magnitude between red and visual filters
- color (slightly enhanced) represents the hue of the object; no albedo differences are currently displayed, in spite of the graph's title!
- the size of a sphere illustrates the object’s size relative to others.
- for a few large objects, the diameter drawn represents the current estimates (for known albedos)
- for all the others, the diameter represents the absolute (V) magnitude of the object.
- for Phoebe, Triton, and Mars (yellow labels), size is not shown to scale.
- Color indexes from MBOSS base: Hainaut & Delsanti (2002) Color of Minor Bodies in the Outer Solar System Astronomy & Astrophysics, 389, 641 
as of Mar. 13th, 2006
- Magnitudes from MPCORB as of Feb 14th, 2006
|Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this image under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. Subject to Wikia disclaimers.|
Appears on these pages
The Centaurs are a class of icy planetoids named after the mythical race of centaurs. Centaurs...
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||05:46, August 27, 2006||300 × 300 (27 KB)||Bryan Seecrets||== Summary == Illustration of colors of Centaurs. ==Graph== * The position of an object represents the two colour indices ** horizontal axis V-B, '''blue color index''' i.e. the difference in the magnitude of the object observed through a visual (green-y|